Saturday, 29 August 2015

Wrist bones

Following on from the finger bones in my last post, here are the wrist bones.  Overall I think they're quite successful.  Making them out of paper gives them a slightly rough texture that I like to think works well for bone.

Yes, all eight wrist bones are present and each is made individually because in fact it's easier that way.  They start out as paper blobs, and then I gradually refine the shape with several more layers of paper.  I find it's best to make a basic shape first and let that dry, then go back and build up the shape in layers, because each layer of paper shrinks as it dries.  In the next photo you can see the wrist bones halfway through this process.  I've done the first four, and I'm starting on number five.

Next, the hand needs part of the radius and ulna bones, and then comes the hard part: painting it.

Friday, 21 August 2015

Hand bones

In between various life stuff I have managed to get in some sculpture this week, and I think this one has potential to be quite cool.

I've been making a hand.  Eventually this will have the veins and arteries, and possibly some of the nerve fibers.  It will be like an anatomical specimen.

The bones are made from paper wrapped around a piece of wire, which joins the different bones together and lets me bend the fingers, and they're more or less life-size.  Now I have to do the wrist bones, then the radius and ulna.  To be honest with you, I'm not really looking forward to the wrist bones.

Thursday, 23 July 2015

Finally, something new

Yes, it has been a while.  I'm sorry about that, but it is what it is.  I have plenty of ideas, but not much opportunity to work them up into actual sculpture.  The ideas just don't seem to want to come out of my head.  Maybe they're not ready yet, but it is frustrating.  This week though I've been having a play with these feather shapes.

This is the second feather I made... first attempt wasn't quite so successful.

The eye shapes are made with a mould and the feather is built up around them.  It took me a couple of goes to figure out how to get the feather to look nice, and the first attempt didn't come out very well, but the second attempt looks okay and I think I could do something fun with these feathers.

Friday, 10 April 2015

The fractal subdivision

The fractal subdivision.  Made from canvass, paper and acrylic paints.

Yes, it's a predictable title for my cubist experiment, but sometimes the obvious ones are the best.

From the front the relief is monochromatic and is really all about shape and texture.  When you stand directly in front of it the coloured paint is hard to see, but as you change your viewing angle the different colours become more visible.

I haven't framed the picture because I wanted parts of it to wrap around the sides of the canvass.  The composition is made up of square and rectangular blocks, and without a frame the canvass itself becomes one of those blocks, which is better than just having it sitting in the background not interacting with anything else.  I actually think this picture might look silly in a frame.

Monday, 6 April 2015

Even more cubist buildings

The wind here has died down long enough or me to spray paint some more fractal elements for my cubist relief.  Here they are:

A bit empty, maybe?

As well as townhouses and retaining walls, we now have a line of older buildings on top of a hill overlooking the new construction.  

While the foreground buildings at the bottom left utilise Menger sponges, the other structures are made using the two-dimensional version of this fractal, Sierpinsky's carpet.

Right now I'm unsure whether to leave it as is, or add some more stuff.  I don't want the canvass to become too busy and overcrowded, but at the same time I want to get across the impression of lots of identical buildings crowded together.

I guess I'll sleep on it and see what I think in the morning.

Wednesday, 1 April 2015

More fractal structures

These simplified stripes represent massive retaining walls.  The subdivision I'm looking at is essentially built on terraces, into the side of a hill.  Wellington hills are made of clay, and retaining walls like this are necessary to prevent landslips.  Mind you, you see houses hanging off the side of cliffs at all angles in this city, and some of them have been there for a hundred years.

This is where I used the cadmium red I talked about last time.  The retaining walls are brownish coloured with red undertones, but not that bright in real life.  Bright red looks nice on the canvass though and does a good job of highlighting the vertical elements of the retaining walls.  I'm also finding that the accent colours I use have to be quite bright to compete with the chrome paint.

Using contrasting textures also helps to emphasise the structures' vertical elements, but they're all made entirely out of paper cubes, just like the original Menger sponge I made. 

Friday, 27 March 2015

The first cubist buildings

Here are the first buildings from the subdivision across the motorway, rendered as a series of fractal cubes.  As I said last time, I want to create a landscape out of Menger sponges.

I've sprayed the structures with rust-coloured primer and chrome silver paint, and picked out some details in coloured acrylic.  These buildings have subtle accent colours in blue and green, but I also plan to use bright cadmium red accents in some places.

The buildings are based (loosely, obviously), on ones I can see from my house.  Here they are, in the middle of the picture above the green car:

This is the view I'll be working with, but since this is an abstract piece I'm much more interested in creating an interesting composition than accurately recording the landscape.